Edward Cohen, Vice President, Government and Industry Relations, American Honda Motor Co.
Hydrogen Congressional BriefingJune 12th, 2009
Hydrogen and Fuel Cells in Transportation: the Future is Arriving – A Briefing in the U.S. Senate
The briefing was held in the Dirksen Senate Office Building Room 628 in front of an audience of more than 100 people. The room was packed with staff from Congressional offices as well as individuals from a variety of federal agencies, academic institutions, non-profit organizations, associations, private industry and the media.
Jerome Hinkle, the NHA’s Vice President for Policy and Government Affairs, was the moderator and opened with a brief overview of the strategic value of hydrogen energy technologies. This set the stage for a discussion of the U.S. Department of Energy’s FY 2010 Budget Request which slashed hydrogen and fuel cell investment by 66% and would eliminate the Hydrogen Program.
The presenters were:
- Edward Kiczek, Air Products and Chemicals
- Robert Wimmer, Toyota Motor North America
- Keith Cole, General Motors
- Sascha Simon, Mercedes-Benz USA
- Edward Cohen, American Honda Motor Company
There was strong convergence among all of the presenters on the significant public benefits and critical importance of continuing public investment in hydrogen and fuel cell technologies. Public policy and budget appropriation decisions should not pick technology winners prematurely.
- Hydrogen and Fuel Cells in Transportation—Policy Choices: Jerome Hinkle, National Hydrogen Association (345Kb PDF)
- Hydrogen Energy is Here Today! Edward Kiczek, Air Products and Chemicals (1,647Kb PDF)
- Benefits & Challenges of Fuel Cell & Plug-in Vehicles: Robert Wimmer, Toyota Motor North America (949Kb PDF)
- Fuel Cell Vehicles—Do we need them? When could we sell them? Will others get there first? Keith Cole, General Motors (1,065Kb PDF)
- On the Road to Sustainable Mobility—Emission Free Mobility with Fuel Cell Powertrain: Sascha Simon, Mercedes-Benz USA (758Kb PDF)
- Hydrogen and Fuel Cells in Transportation—the Future is Arriving: Edward Cohen, American Honda Motor Company (3,979Kb PDF)
- Briefing Notice: Jerome Hinkle, NHA (30Kb PDF)
- Plug Power in the Marketplace: Katrina Fritz Intwala, Plug Power (from Congressional Briefing in the House of Representatives) (336Kb PDF)
For more information about Policy activity for Hydrogen and Fuel Cells, please visit: